Friday, September 9, 2011

Revamped and Restyled Bookcase

I've been slowly but surely redecorating my soon-to-be stepdaughter's bedroom. She has a odd ball assortment of hand me down furniture that I have been dying to paint. Her desk and dresser are solid wood with good lines and have definite potential but I decided to start the furniture makeover process with the bookshelf. It however is not solid wood but one of those laminate, out-of-the-box type deals that dates back 20+ years. I had never painted furniture that wasn't real wood before so I did a little research and luckily found out it is pretty simple! In fact, I would say it's easier than painting real wood furniture because you get to skip the dreaded sanding step all together! Anyhow, here's the 'before & afters': 

 Before


After

What was once brown and ugly is made fresh and new again with a few coats of primer and glossy white paint! As you can see from the 'before' picture the bookshelf was busting at the seams with toys, books, movies, games, art supplies, cd's and more. Jordyn, my soon-to-be stepdaughter, turned 10 a few months ago and proclaimed recently that she is no longer 'into' Barbies. Fine by me! 3/4's of those bins were filled to the brim with the likes of Barbie, Ken, Gabriella, and Hannah Montana dolls which I was happy to box up and store in the garage to save for future daughters/nieces/etc. I was able to relocate all of the crayons, markers and art supplies to her desk after cleaning it out and making space in there. I also sorted through her books and am donating a lot of them. (She's in 5th grade and reading novels now, so there is no need for the baby books anymore!) The only thing I purchased for this make over were the 3 yellow bins from the dollar store which now house all of her DVD's. I love the concealed storage that they provide and the pop of yellow they add! Now her bookcase is not only functional but stylish as well!

In order to paint the bookcase I used primer, paint and polycrylic sealer that I already had in my stash of paint supplies (leftover from several other painting projects like this one and this one.) I am pretty happy with this $3.00 makeover and can't wait to tackle the rest of the projects I have planned for her bedroom! What do you think of the newly revamped and restyled bookcase?!

To see more on Jordyn's bedroom makeover go here or here
Related Posts with Thumbnails