Friday, April 29, 2011

High-Style, Low-Budget Ideas with The Fabulous Design File

It's Friday, so that means we have another guest stopping by to share some ideas on how to save money but achieve high style! Today Carissa with The Fabulous Design File is here. If you're not already familiar with Carissa's blog, you should be! It's filled with loads of design inspiration, decorating ideas and DIY projects! Check out the stairway wall in her foyer, which happens to be one of my favorite spots in her house;


Isn't her gallery of art amazing?! And I love that it's a mix of family photos and art with specific meaning to everyone in her family! Read on for more art ideas from Carissa.

-----------------
Hi JPM readers! It's Carissa from The Fabulous Design File. I was so excited when Mary asked me to participate in this guest series! I love finding ways to create a stylish home on a budget, whether it's by scoring a great bargain, finding a new use for something old, or by tackling a fun DIY project. I love the challenge, and I really believe that great style does not depend on a large budget. 

I thought I'd share one of my favorite money-saving decorating tips. We all know that fantastic art can really MAKE a space, and yet finding the right piece on a budget can be tricky. Here's the tip: find a print shop and create your own original art! You'll be surprised at how little it costs to get something unique and fabulous. I use a local print shop in my city, but you can also check out online sources like PosterBrain

Here are a couple of examples from my home. My subway-sign-inspired 'family rules' poster cost only $20, and it's 18" x 36". I stapled it onto an inexpensive stretcher fame, and voila! 


I also had a favourite picture of my two boys blown up to 3 feet x 5 feet and printed for only $60! It will make a dramatic statement in my family room once the renovations are complete!


The best thing about creating this type of art is that it is meaningful and personal, and looks much more expensive than it actually is!

Thanks again, Mary, for inviting me over today!

-----------------
Thanks Carissa! Make sure you stop by her blog and say hello and see what other ideas and projects she has up her sleeve, like this DIY globe pendant chandelier, AMAZING!


Related Posts with Thumbnails