Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last Nights Dinner

I spent a few hours on Sunday afternoon cooking up a storm. I made a Chinese chicken salad wraps for dinner that night (and lunch yesterday!) and I also made a casserole and stuck it in the fridge for Monday night. It was the first time I tried the recipe, and I must admit it turned out great!!


BBQ Chicken Casserole
(photo and recipe from allrecipes.com, although I modified it a bit!)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 3 table spoons of chopped garlic
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can of corn
  • I also added 2 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS

1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. (I also added chopped up left over tri-tip meat since we had a bunch left over from the night before.) In a large skillet, brown the chicken in oil; transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.


2. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil until tender. In a bowl, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; add to vegetables. Bring to a boil. Pour over the chicken.


3. Pour can of corn over the top of the concoction and then sprinkle cheese over the entire dish.

3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.


I believe the recipes online says that it is from a southern ministers wife, which makes sense, this is some pretty great down home cookin ;) I paired it with a side salad and garlic bread, but I think next time I will make baked potatoes to go with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails